Thursday, July 2, 2015

Trials of Many Kinds

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 
James 1:2-4

----------------------------------------------------

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 
1 Peter 1:5-7

--------------------------------------------------------


What do you do in times of trial?  I can tell you one thing.  The last things on my list when I face most trials are joy and praise.  It is true that we as Christians face many trials in many different shapes and sizes and colors and nastiness.  Today I was faced with a trial that I never thought I would have to face.  Everything in me wants to write down the whole account and tell you how the other person was wrong and I am right but that isn't what matters.  I am not writing this because I want to redeem myself, I am writing this because through the pain and heartache of this particular trial I learned something.  First I remembered that I am not a perfect person (actually I remember that on a daily basis), I saw how my sin affected someone else, I saw how Satan takes little bitty things and makes them explode into a nasty nasty ugly mess.  As I was dwelling on how hurt I was by the situation I realized that this pain was good, but dwelling in it would not help anything.  God was using this incident to refine me in the fire.  He was using this pain to clean out the sin in my life and make me pure.  I never fully understood the verses in James and 1 Peter until now.  I can consider this trial pure joy because while yes it still hurts and it isn't even over yet, I know that as long as I pray before I act and seek God's will I will come out of it refined, the genuineness of my faith will be proven and for that I give God all the praise, glory and honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment